Celebrating early childhood educators: Minister Schulz
May 20, 2022
Minister of Children’s Services Rebecca Schulz issued the following statement on Early Childhood Educator Day:
“Early childhood educators play such an important role in the lives of kids and working families across the province. The quality care and early learning provided by these caring and dedicated professionals contribute to the healthy development and growth of kids. They show exceptional expertise, care, passion and compassion in helping to foster creativity, love of learning and positive development through play. While the last couple years have presented unprecedented challenges, educators have met those difficulties with resilience and dedication.
“Highly skilled educators are key to high-quality child care and the work of early childhood educators is essential not only for families but also for Alberta’s economy. Every day, many parents rely on child-care providers and educators so they can go to work or school.
“As part of celebrating Early Childhood Educator Day, the 2022 Minister’s Awards of Excellence have returned. Early childhood professionals and programs from across the province were nominated and three recipients were selected in each of the award categories.
“Individual award recipients are:
- Béatrice Lucot-Gardener, from Prématernelle Bobino Bobinette in Edmonton,
- Cheryl Crowther, from Child Development Dayhomes in Calgary, and
- Jonabel Cabasal, from Kepler Academy in Edmonton.
“Teams award recipients are:
- Kristi Nichlason, Yuko Kotera and Kassandra Goodzeck, from the Manning Early Learning and Child Care Centre in Manning,
- Marianne Dyck and Tina Harback, from the Prairie Christian Academy Preschool in Three Hills, and
- Lianne Wiebe, Michaela Golova and Annecy Hill, from the Trellis Society – Ready Set Go in Calgary.
“And Program award recipients are:
- The Grand Prairie Friendship Centre – Aboriginal Head Start, in Grande Prairie,
- Jack James Preschool in Calgary, and
- Leapah’s Learning Garden Preschool in Leduc
“Congratulations to all the recipients – the work you do for the children and parents in your communities is invaluable. You have shown resilience and dedication to the families you serve and have gone above and beyond expectations.
“Thank you to all of Alberta’s early childhood educators for your continued support of children across the province. You make a difference in children’s lives each and every day.”