LANDS ADVISORY BOARD
FIRST NATIONS LAND MANAGEMENT RESOURCE CENTRE
The Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management is a significant expression of Indigenous ingenuity and modern efforts to shed the colonial legacy of the Indian Act. Our team at the First Nations Land Management Resource Centre (FNLMRC) is cutting edge, dedicated, and experienced in assisting First Nations to develop workable solutions to the everyday challenges of community led lands and resources governance. We are currently searching for motivated and qualified candidates for the following contract position:
Position: Survey Advisor
Please Note: It is a requirement for the Survey Advisor to have professional liability insurance, therefore the Survey Advisor is unable to be a direct employee of the Resource Centre. Rather, the Survey Advisor will need to be an employee of a sole proprietorship, company, corporation, etc. However, this Survey Advisor position is a full-time, long-term contract position.
Location: To be determined based on successful candidate.
Position Description: Assist Lands Advisory Board (LAB), the Resource Centre (RC) Board and First Nations to fulfill their responsibilities under the Framework Agreement on First Nations Lands Management (FA), including:
Please note that this Survey Advisor position will not include any fieldwork or plan preparation activities, rather it is survey project coordination and management with the RC’s current Surveys Advisor to:
- Provide advice to the RC/LAB and First Nations as requested on survey and registry related matters
- Reviewing the Research Reports and Land Description Reports that are prepared for each Reserve that will be part of the Individual Agreement pursuant to the Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management. The review of the reports will include the preparation of a document that clearly identifies and explains the potential survey related issues (identified in the Reports and those that were not identified), discusses potential options (with the advantages and disadvantages of each, where applicable), and the potential timeframes and parties involved to address the issues.
- Preparing requests for proposals for survey related contracts, developing estimates of costs, evaluating, and preparing contracts and responses to the survey companies. This will include tracking the progress of the project in relation to the established timelines.
- Where timelines will need to be adjusted, communicating the information to the First Nation and other stakeholders, and preparing the applicable changes to the contract.
- Where appropriate, provide recommendations to the RC Surveys Advisor on the amendment of standards, survey guidelines, procedures, and policies for the regulation of land surveys.
- Collaborating with Government Departments, working groups or stakeholders and serving on Committees where required, in relation to surveys on First Nation lands and the Framework Agreement
- Any other related workload in keeping with the RC and First Nations’ responsibilities in implementing the Framework Agreement. This could include, for example, assisting the RC and LAB as needed, assisting in developing the LAB’s Annual Report, and prepare reports related Quarterly Reports.
- A Canada Lands Surveyor’s commission AND licence to practice issued by the Association of Canada Lands Surveyors OR a licence or authority to practice as a land surveyor in any province in Canada.
Note: If this condition is met by having a licence or authority to practice as a land surveyor in a province, then the successful candidate must obtain a Canada Lands Surveyor’s commission AND licence to practice within 1 year of the contract start date.
- Owner/partner/employee of a survey company or corporation (or the potential to establish your own business or corporation) that has or can obtain a valid permit with the Association of Canada Lands Surveyors
- Two or more years (acquired in the last 5 years) in the field of surveying, preferably on First Nation lands.
- Knowledge of natural boundary law and real property rights, particularly those related to First Nation Reserve lands
- Proficiency with software programs such as Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, CAD software
- Effective interpersonal relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent time management and project management
- Providing technical advice and problem-solving services to clients, managers, etc.
- Preparing analytical and technical documents and reports
- Project management principles (launch, planning, monitoring, evaluation)
- Ability to interpret land descriptions
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, with clients or relevant stakeholders
- Tact and good judgement
- Working with First Nations, preferably in the context of the Framework Agreement
- Due to the amount of work with First Nation communities, preference may be given to candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
- Indigenous language fluency is an asset.
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset.
- Ability to adjust work hours to accommodate meetings in other time zones
- Must be willing to travel (once public health restrictions related to COVID-19 are lifted)
- As a condition of the contract, the successful applicant will be required to provide satisfactory proof that they have been fully immunized against COVID-19.
- Candidates must possess a valid Driver’s License and access to a reliable personal vehicle.
- Candidate must work from a home office environment, with reliable internet service.
- A written test may be administered.
- Interviews will be conducted.
- Reference checks will be conducted
- A criminal record check may be requested.
Remuneration: Up to $115K annually, dependent upon qualifications and related experience.
Hours of work: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Please forward your resume and cover letter that clearly outlines how you meet the above requirements to [email protected]
Applications must be received no later than Sunday, October 24, 2021.
We thank all who apply, only those invited to participate in an interview will be contacted.