Senior Accounting Coordinator – Full Time, Permanent
Located in Canada (flexible)
Are you an experienced Accounting professional who is looking for fulfilling work in the non-profit sector with supportive colleagues and a flexible work culture? Are you a mission-aligned individual with a strong focus on providing excellent service to community partners?
MakeWay is looking for a Senior Accounting Coordinator who will be responsible for the processing of all accounts payable for the organization including grants, rent, programmatic, and operational expenditures.
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. We are made up of two legal charitable entities: MakeWay Charitable Society, a shared platform home to over 65 innovative community-led projects staffed by 150 change makers; and MakeWay Foundation where about 70 people are advancing place-based programs that support Indigenous-led solutions and conservation in the North, Pacific, Manitoba, and beyond via grant-making, funder collaboratives and other tools. Our people, projects, and partners are based across the country.
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for daily processing of accounts payables cycle including review of invoices and expense reports for policy compliance and proper authorization (avg. 130 transactions/week)
- Regular processing of payments by cheque, EFT, wire, and online payments.
- Regularly communicating with Project Directors and Project staff regarding adherence to policy and procedure relating to submission of invoices and expense reports
- Weekly monitoring of project cash balances
- Responding to vendor and internal queries, ranging from urgent to casual; investigating and resolving issues, while exercising considerable judgment and tact
- Assisting with contract management, including monitoring of contract balances and terms
- Maintaining accounts payables records, both physical and electronic files
- Managing corporate purchasing card program, including paying monthly account and reconciling to cardholder monthly statements
- Responsible for back-end administration of corporate card software platform, Visa Spend Clarity including new cardholder set-up, processing of limit adjustments, and monitoring of corporate card accounts
- Responsible for back-end administration of MakeWay’s invoice and expense reporting software, Concur including new employee set up, corporate card mapping, and issue resolution
- Assist with employee onboarding set up on systems as applicable
- Process monthly rental payments for MakeWay Foundation and MakeWay Charitable Society projects
- Assisting with year-end accounts payables working papers
- Review and posting of cross-portfolio payables
- Preparing journal entries for adjustments when and as needed by the finance team
Grant Making Support:
- Regularly process and reconcile grant payments
- Occasionally provide back-up to MakeWay’s Grant Administrator:
- Obtain approval on grant application for the grant cycle and E-file approved forms
- Prepare and post Purchase Order for grant/fund transfers
- Liaise with Philanthropy and Society’s Operations teams re approved grants relating to their business unit
- Make grant recommendations to MakeWay’s advised international grantmaking
- Ensure grant agreement letter and cheque sent to grantee
Who You Are:
- Effective Communicator: You communicate effectively verbally and in writing across cultures and to diverse audiences, you are able to grow relationships and energize others to work together.
- Excellent time-management: You are able to plan and organize your own time based on priorities to meet daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills: You are extremely organized, with an ability to anticipate, plan, and deliver exceptional support.
- Detail-oriented: You excel at tasks that require a high level of precision and you address errors and inconsistencies.
- Adaptable: You are able to manage and prioritize incoming requests, juggle conflicting priorities and deliver multiple assignments, all while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
Experience You Bring:
- Two to three years related general Accounting experience in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Experience in Accounts Payable processing
- ERP software training/experience
- Intermediate experience in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Alignment with MakeWay’s core values of PLACE – Partnership, Listening, Action, Courage, Equity
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Experience in the charitable/non-profit sector
- Working knowledge of NetSuite ERP system, Concur Invoice, and Expense Reporting system, Salesforce or other CRM an asset
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Salary of $54,621 – $60,343 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- Committed colleagues
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!