First Nations / Métis / Inuit Personal Banking Associate, Summer 2023 (Co-op/Internship)
250 Yonge Street
Job Family Group:
Retail Banking Sales & Service
BMO’s Indigenous Banking Unit is celebrating our 30th Anniversary this year! This demonstrates our ongoing commitment to Indigenous Inclusion and our desire to see some great partnerships.
We’ve been awarded six consecutive gold level Progressive Aboriginal Relations (PAR) certifications. and maintain strong commitments to Indigenous customers, colleagues, and community
BMO also offers a SPECIAL Banking offer specific to First Nations, Métis and Inuit customers which includes FREE banking for the first year! See the link for more details!
Indigenous Banking Services and Special Offers from BMO
Please see the link below for more about BMO career opportunities. Indigenous People | BMO Diversity & Inclusion
As a co-op/intern student at BMO, you will have the opportunity to be heard, keep growing and make a difference. You will be part of our campus program to gain the skills and knowledge needed to take on roles similar to the description listed below.
Our student experience is designed to integrate you to the BMO team from day one by adding value in the work you do. You will have the opportunity to participate in programs such as the Women in Technology Mentorship Program, BMO First Friend peer assignment, BMO Social Squad student-led activities, BMO U corporate learning platform and access to various Employee Resource Groups to further develop your network within BMO.
Interested in learning more about our campus program? Stay up-to-date with BMO Campus Recruitment by following us on Twitter @BMOonCampus & Instagram @BMO_on_Campus.
Please ensure you upload your resume, cover letter and transcript in the ‘Upload a file’ section prior to submitting your application.
Please note: Only students currently enrolled in an academic program and returning to their studies will be considered for our Co-op/Internship opportunities. Student who recently graduated are invited to apply to our New Grad opportunities which are available at: https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en/new-grad
This role is available at various branch locations across Canada.
We invite all experienced and aspiring First Nations / Métis / Inuit professionals to apply to roles featured on BMO’s Indigenous Careers landing page, as well as all of those on BMO’s Careers page. Qualified First Nations / Métis / Inuit applicants applying through these postings will be considered for open job vacancies, where they exist, or added to our Indigenous Talent Network and matched to other upcoming opportunities.
Delivers exceptional service to BMO customers and prospects. Identifies customer needs and provides advice and guidance regarding financial solutions that are in the best interests of customers. Works collaboratively within the branch and with BMO partners to deliver the desired customer experience and achieve overall business objectives.
- Collaborates with BMO partners to identify referral opportunities that further grow the customer’s relationship with BMO beyond personal banking.
- Welcomes and guides customers as they walk into the branch lobby, and offers advice and guidance on available digital and self-serve options with the goal of making it easy, simple, and fast to bank with BMO.
- As a lobby leader, assists in conducting client conversations about banking services to recommend alternative banking channels and provide personal banking and investment advice.
- Meets customer transaction-based needs with seamless execution.
- Reviews customer profiles and engages customers in a needs-based conversation to identify potential opportunities and address everyday banking plans and credit card needs.
- Contributes to meeting branch business results and the customer experience.
- Supports operational activities (e.g. inventory management, escalated service requests, following up on customer applications, filing, opening and closing activities).
- Acts as a key member of a collaborative and versatile branch and market team.
- Probes to understand customer personal banking and credit card needs and integrates marketing promotions and programs into customer conversations to provide strategic advice.
- Organizes work information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Takes the initiative to find creative approaches that make each customer’s experience feel personal.
- Looks for ways to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the overall branch customer experience.
- Contributes to business results and the overall experience delivered in the branch.
- May work at multiple branches based on market needs; work schedule may differ from week to week in terms of days worked, hours, and shifts.
- Follows through on risk and compliance processes and policies to ensure we safeguard our customers’ assets, maintain their privacy, and act in their best interest.
- Keeps current with the wider financial services marketplace, the legal and regulatory environment, and our commitment to uphold the highest ethical requirements of our industry.
- Maintains current knowledge of personal banking products, practices, and trends and integrates into customer conversations.
- Identifies and reports suspicious patterns of activity that are suspected to be related to money laundering.
- Complies with legal and regulatory requirements for the jurisdiction.
- Protects the Bank’s assets in compliance with all regulatory, legal, and ethical requirements.
- Completes complex & diverse tasks within given rules/limits.
- Analyzes issues and determines next steps; escalates as required.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 1 – 2 years of relevant experience and/or certification in related field of study desirable or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Canada only: Registration to sell investment products completed or in progress (must be completed within 12 months) – as appropriate for the jurisdiction.
- Confident and experienced in the use of social media, tablets, Smart phones, online tools, and applications.
- Some experience in a consultative customer service or sales roles, with a drive to deliver a personal customer experience.
- Basic knowledge of specialized sales and business banking solutions to refer to specialists.
- Passionate commitment to helping customers.
- Drive to deliver a personal customer experience.
- A focus on results and the ability to thrive in a consultative sales and team-based environment.
- Resourceful self-starter with courage and confidence to approach customers.
- Readiness to collaborate and work in different capacities as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build rapport and connections with customers.
- An aptitude for listening, solving problems, and responding flexibly and creatively to new challenges.
- Basic specialized knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills – Good.
- Organization skills – Good.
- Collaboration & team skills – Good.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – Good.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.