Location: Owen Sound
Posting Date: October 19, 2020 (reposted)
The Organization: Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre (SOAHAC) strives to provide quality, wholistic health services by sharing and promoting traditional and western health practices to enable people to live in a more balanced state of well-being. SOAHAC provides services to Indigenous people including those who live on and off reserve, status, non-status, Inuit and Métis within the southwest region. SOAHAC has a mandate of ensuring that health services are accessible, of high quality and are culturally appropriate. Currently, we are seeking the services of a Nurse Practitioner to join our interdisciplinary staff team based at our Owen Sound site.
The Role: The Nurse Practitioner provides primary care across the lifespan for members of the Indigenous community and their families. The NP will consult with doctors, consultants and community specialists as required in order to provide safe and timely care. This position will consist of both, on site clinic and outreach; travelling weekly to surrounding First Nations communities.
Reporting to the Integrated Care Manager – Owen Sound site, the Nurse Practitioner is responsible for:
- Provide comprehensive primary care services to clients of all ages, including primary prevention, health education, comprehensive physical exams, chronic disease management, antenatal care, and acute/episodic visits
- Conduct on site assessments, as well as telephone and outreach visits
- Advocate on behalf of clients with regards to equitable access to traditional healing and western health services
- Review client laboratory results, procedure reports and consultation notes
- Arrange appropriate follow up/referrals as required
- Document all client contact and ensure all client information is kept confidential at all times
- Maintain close collaborative working relationships with other allied health professionals
- Work in collaboration with other health professionals to ensure a broad range of services are available to clients
- Consult with physicians as needed regarding issues that are outside the NP scope of practice
- Collaborate with community partners to offer outreach services as required
- BScN and current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class
- Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- 2-3 years’ previous experience working as a Nurse Practitioner in the areas of primary care, chronic disease management, mental health and addictions
- Knowledge of culture and local Indigenous communities in Southwestern Ontario is required
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work effectively and independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and assessment skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and across teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly
- Computer literacy including skills in word processing, e-mail, PowerPoint, Excel, and Electronic Medical Records
- Willingness to participate in ongoing Indigenous teachings and ceremonies
- Valid Ontario Driver’s “G” license and access to reliable transportation
- Obtain/ maintain a current and clean vulnerable sector check as a condition of employment
This job may require additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre.
Please Note: This position is a full-time (35 hours / 5 days per week). Salary is competitive and with comprehensive benefit and pension (HOOPP) package.
SOAHAC values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer; however, hiring preference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants. SOAHAC is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, please advise Human Resources.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of 3 references (two references from a supervisor or manager) to
Email: [email protected]
Subject Line: NP, Owen Sound
Or mail to:
Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre
425 – 427 William Street
London, ON N6B 3E1
Please visit Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre online at: www.soahac.on.ca or like us on www.facebook.com/soahac to learn more about us!
We thank all those for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted