DEPARTMENT: MCFN – Health
REPORTING TO: Health Director
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
LOCATION: Fort McMurray, AB
Mikisew Cree First Nation (MCFN) is currently seeking an Epidemiologist to join the Team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. MCFN is a Woodland Cree, Treaty 8 First Nation. Reporting to and working closely with the Health Director, the Epidemiologist, will be responsible for carrying out research to investigate the transmission of diseases to develop a means for prevention and control.
- Study the patterns, causes, and effect of disease in humans
- Liaise healthcare professionals to analyze the outbreak of an epidemic
- Providing data which is useful in making public health decisions
- Keep track of Covid-19 virus and identify new viral strains and keep them from spreading
- Conduct disease surveillance to detect newly emerged diseases and evaluate their impact on public health
- Review disinfection and sterilization techniques to ensure they are effective against disease pathogens
- Prepare cultures environmental studies
- Educate MCFN on infectious diseases and ways to minimize transmission
- Contribute to the design of standards for the prevention of Covid-19
- Maintain concise records of investigative findings and present reports to appropriate authority for implementation
- Travel to Fort Chipewyan to provide assistance as needed at community events (pending Alberta Health Services and MCFN Covid-19 protocols and recommended guidelines) and
- Perform other related administrative and analytical tasks as requested.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Public Health
- Experience with working with First Nations is considered an asset
- Must have an understanding and knowledge of First Nation, processes and issues relating to First Nations programs, funding mechanisms and the working knowledge to conduct business within these areas
- Proficient in word processing, databases, spreadsheets, use of statistical tools and techniques
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relay research information to the Health Department and MCFN
- Demonstrated sound judgement, analytical and decision-making skills
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and current clear criminal record check.
- A strong passion for Nation Building and the desire to make a difference for the future of MCFN
- Knowledge of the Cree culture and traditions and ability to speak Cree is desirable.
Deadline to apply is 5:00pm MST, July 16, 2021