Title: Director – Environmental Performance
Location: Remote, Canada (Ottawa is Preferred)
Employment status: 24-month, Full Time
Salary band: $77,266 – $112,680
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Director – Environmental Performance to join our team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are looking for a Director of Environmental Performance to implement and monitor the Canadian Red Cross (CRC) Environmental policy and drive changes throughout the organization to support the reduction of operational GHG emissions. This is a new position will work directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
You won’t be starting from scratch. We have completed some important foundational work that includes establishing GHG emissions baselines for our buildings, fleet, and business travel, defining corporate reduction targets, and developing a tracking tool to monitor reduction progress.
We have also identified an initial set of operational changes to reduce our emissions and integrated them into our operational plans. Finally, we are putting the final touches on an Environment policy that will frame how the CRC integrates environmental considerations into everything we do.
Your mandate will be to take these initial achievements to the next level, becoming the focal point for all environmental performance-related activities across the organization.
- Deliver on the environmental aims set out in CRCs Vision 2025 and Environment policy and define further aims that will be integrated into the next CRC vision.
- Manage and enhance the environmental performance program to achieve GHG reduction targets.
- Keep the CRC aligned with and, where feasible, ahead of national and international GHG reduction ambitions of similar organizations.
- Support all areas of the CRC in enhancing their environmental posture and communicating the organization’s progress towards its environmental ambitions.
- Promote environmental knowledge and awareness across all CRC staff and volunteers.
In this role, you will:
- Work with all areas within the CRC to refine policies, procedures, and guidelines to enable the organization to fulfil its commitment to carbon reduction/environmental care and achieve continual improvement in environmental performance
- Refine and manage the integrated environmental performance plan
- Execute GHG monitoring, benchmarking and reporting, with specific emphasis on measured reductions in buildings, fleet and travel
- Monitor facilities and supply chain resiliency risks related to severe weather events
- Advise Senior Management on environmental risks, legislation, or costs that affect aims of the Canadian Red Cross
- Work with the Facilities team to identify properties with the potential to install alternative energy sources i.e., photovoltaic panels, and implement other measures that will help lower building emissions
- Provide advice and support to the Supply Chain Management team to ensure that policies, processes, contract specifications, bid evaluations and supplier compliance activities are aligned with environmental commitments
- Work with the Communications department, and other departments with internal and external outreach responsibilities, to keep environmental issues high on the CRC’s agenda and ensure key messaging is readily available for internal and external communication
- Work with the Quality Management department to integrate environmental considerations into new service lines, and support audits on existing service lines and other internal programs
- Engage with peers from other international Society’s and related humanitarian organizations to share lessons learned and promote partnership-based initiatives
- Produce reports and progress updates for CRC Senior Executives and the Board of Directors
What we are looking for:
- Post-secondary education plus at least five (5) years of experience developing and implementing enterprise-wide environmental management systems across medium-large organizations
- Substantive experience in relevant accounting, reporting and target setting standards, especially GHG Protocol and SBTi.
- Formal certifications and accreditations in areas such as GHG verification, EMS auditing, Environmental Professional designation (Eco Canada)
- Demonstrated experience creating, aligning, and translating vision and strategies into concrete and cohesive plans
- Professional presence with the ability to quickly establish personal credibility and demonstrate expertise
- Strong communication and consulting skills
- Excellent project management skills, time management and organizational skills
- Passionate about the environment, and about helping others. Making the world a better place is something you truly believe in
- Strategic thinking, but also understand that driving into the details and making things happen is the way to achieve goals
- Ability to establish and nurture great relationships with everyone within your sphere
- Hybrid Working model (office and home)
- Domestic travel is a regular part of the job. Current driver’s license, use of a car, and a satisfactory driver’s abstract is required
- Completion of a successful Criminal Record Check is required
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.