Title: Coordinator – Emergency Management
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Employment status: Temporary, full time 12 months
Salary band: $46,062 – $57,577/ year
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking an Emergency Management (EM) Coordinator.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Collaborating with the (EM) Manager, the incumbent will leads assigned programs and initiatives within the EM mandate, including, but not limited to, volunteer management, preparedness and response activities, and external relationship building. The EM Coordinator will also promote public awareness of Red Cross programs and services. During response operations, the EM Coordinator will plan, organize, implement and supervise the CRC Level 1 & 2 response teams and services to support affected household and community responses. During Level 3+ responses, the EM Coordinator will participate as required in business continuity or in the response to support Provincial Disaster Coordination Team (PDCT) and National Disaster Coordination Team (NDCT) coordinated responses. The EM Coordinator will work to enhance the volunteer experience through identified sourcing, recruitment and engagement campaigns and activities, taking responsibility to building a relationship with volunteers throughout the volunteer cycle, including between responses. The incumbent will ensure delivery of services is in accordance with CRC Fundamental Principles and Mission, CRC policies, EM Standards and approved budgets.
In this role you will:
- Ensure completion of local and program-specific onboarding and orientation activities with volunteers.
- Be responsible to directly support as well as engage teams in volunteer sourcing initiatives to achieve set targets as part of the defined recruitment strategies and tactics.
- Implement and lead programmatic volunteer engagement through regular communication, activities and informal recognition, as well as support centrally managed engagement activities including those developed or rolled out by the Volunteer Engagement and Experience (VEE) Manager.
- Contribute to workforce planning assessments by identifying local operational needs, gaps, and promotions within the volunteer workforce.
- Coordinate disaster risk reduction and readiness activities in an all-hazards approach with particular emphasis on relevant risks, and in line with CRC Readiness Standards;
- Ensure that Red Cross supplies and assets are inventoried, maintained, tracked and deployed as per the logistics plan, in agreement with Supply Chain Management/Logistics;
- Coordinates and supports emergency preparedness and awareness activities within the assigned area including annual campaigns such as Emergency Preparedness Week, Fundraising campaigns, etc.;
- Supervise and contribute to the development and support the implementation of Emergency Response Plans (ERPs) in accordance with programs standards, including workforce planning;
- Build partnerships with stakeholders including assigned local and municipal governments representatives, NGOs, police and fire departments as well as community leaders in a continuous effort to enhance response capacity.
We are looking for:
- University degree or community college diploma in one or more of the following disciplines; volunteer management, project management, community development, emergency management, planning and evaluation or a related field and a minimum three (3) years experience at a community-based program level
- Volunteer leadership/management skills
- Previous experience working with volunteers is required
- Demonstrated knowledge or connection to the community in the area of responsibility;
- Demonstrated experience in development of plans and exercises.
- Experience and training in media relations and public speaking.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time, strong time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Preference may be given to a candidate with a background in emergency management.
- Valid Standard/Emergency First Aid Certification or willingness to complete training
Valid Provincial Class 5 driver’s license
- May be required to work non-tradition hours, be on call and respond to emergency/disaster related requests
- Work-related travel is a regular requirement of the job including into remote communities during all seasons
- Please note that there is no relocation package for this position
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We kindly ask not to send in duplicate copies of your resume. No phone calls please.