DEPARTMENT: MCFN – Finance REPORTING TO: Chief Financial Officer
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent LOCATION: Fort Chipewyan or Fort McMurray, AB
Mikisew Cree First Nation (MCFN) is currently seeking a Controller to join the Finance team. MCFN is a Woodland Cree, Treaty 8 First Nation. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will be responsible for the general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable/collection, payroll, risk management, supervising and supporting the Finance staff.
- Manage all accounting operations regarding full cycle accounting.
- Ensure the financial system, policies, procedures, and internal controls are appropriately designed and operating effectively.
- Monitors cash flow and reports the financial matters to the CFO.
- Assist in departmental budgets, financial analysis of variance, annual audit, accounts reconciliation and allocation.
- Performing day to day processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions to ensure that finances of MCFN are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
- Calculate, prepare, and issue documents related to accounts such as invoices, inventory reports, account statements and other financial statements using computerized and manual systems.
- Code, enter, verify, and reconcile transactions such as accounts payable invoices, customer invoices, purchase orders, cheque requisitions.
- Monitor the quality of financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory bodies.
- Direct or coordinate the preparation of budgets and financial forecasts, including report variances.
- Support month-end and year-end closing processes.
- Assist in the annual budget processing, financial analysis, and notes for the operating and capital budgets.
- Reconcile and collect outstanding accounts on a timely basis.
- Ensure contracts are properly administrated in accordance with contract terms. Respond to vendor inquiries.
- Onboard new staff and ensure sufficient training and mentorship is provided to Finance team.
- Maintain good customer and vendor relations.
- Other duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree or advanced diploma in finance, accounting, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years experience working with First Nations is considered an asset and 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office, familiarity with Xyntax and Sage software is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, time management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently on routine tasks and as part of a team.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and current clear criminal record check.